Sound Quality and Streaming Services on Phantom
There are 3 main categories to designate the quality of a sound file:
- Lossy: A file compression in which some of the original data is lost for maximum size reduction.
- Lossless or CD Quality: The compression keeps the original data intact but still reduces the size.
- Hi-Res: A file with no compression. The highest quality file with the biggest size.
Phantom is compatible with these 3 categories. However, not all streaming services offer all these sound quality options.
Note: Please keep in mind that the higher the bit rate and kbps of a music stream are, the higher the file's quality will be (because it will contain more detail).
- Classic: Lossy MP3 (128kbps/320kbps)
- HIFI: Lossless CD (16-bit/44.1khz)
- Studio Premier: Lossless CD (16-bit/44.1kHz) and Hi-Res (24-bit/192kHz)
- Premium: Lossy OGG Vorbis (320 kbps)
- Apple Music: Lossy AAC (256 kbps)
- Premium: Lossy AAC (320 kbps)
- Hifi: Lossless CD (16-bit/44.1khz) and Hi-Res (24-bit/96khz)
- Unlimited: Lossy MP3 (320kbps)
- HD: Lossless CD (16-bit/44.1khz) and Hi-Res (24-bit/96khz)
An audio system consists of several elements, for instance:
- A source where the music is stored (like the music servers at Spotify)
- A streaming protocol to send music to your speaker (such as Bluetooth)
- The hardware capabilities of your audio speaker (defined by the components in its motherboard)
These 3 elements must be compatible with the sound format you want to reproduce to obtain the desired sound. Let's say that you have a Tidal subscription capable of delivering music at 24-bit/96khz. To do that, you will have to:
- Find a song in Tidal available at their "Master" quality format (24-bit/96khz).
- Send that song to your speaker with a streaming protocol compatible with the 24-bit/96khz format from Tidal.
- Play that stream on a speaker with hardware capable of reading the 24-bit/96khz format from Tidal.
Devialet Phantom is currently compatible with the following streaming protocols:
- Bluetooth up to 16-bit/44.1khz
- Airplay 1 up to 16-bit/44.1khz
- Spotify Connect at 320 kbps
- UPnP at 24bit-48khz or more